‣ 500 g split peas, soaked in water overnight and coarsely mashed
‣ 5 ml (1 t) garlic paste
‣ 5 ml (1 t) ginger paste
‣ 6 green or red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
‣ half a bunch chopped coriander leaves
‣ half a bunch spring onions, chopped
‣ 1 medium-sized banana, mashed
‣ salt and pepper to taste
‣ Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, to form a dough.oil for frying
Roll into small balls, flatten them with the palm of your hand, and make a small hole in the center of each veddah.
Fry the veddahs in hot oil until brown on the outside and cooked inside.
Drain on paper towels and serve hot or cold.
Makes about 12 veddahs.
E-mail: info (at) proudlyindian.co.za
Address: +72 Bangalore Road, Northdale, Pietermaritzburg, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa